Seeking a Java design and coding position with some technical management
3/2007 - 1/2008, Tickets.com, Meriden, CT
- Built SOAP client in Apache Axis with a custom caching engine, connected
to a Delphi server.
- Designed and developed custom Java e-commerce web application, to sell
tickets directly to consumers. Used Wicket, Axis, and Jaxen. Designed
Created Ant build scripts, JUnit tests and CruiseControl tasks to manage
project. Mentored and managed junior programmer in these technologies.
7/2005 - 1/2008, Andrews Consulting Group, Cheshire CT
- Developed browser-based Java Server Faces front-end to an AS/400 system.
Designed and developed a REST-ful style Web Services layer to interface with a
RPG and DB2 system, and an AJAX front end. Used Java, HTML, CSS, and the
- Designed and built a user discussion portlet to work inside Plumtree
Portal. Exposed the interface through a push to Blackberry users. Used MySQL,
JForum and plain XML web services.
- Designed and built HTML front end to SQLServer database to run as a portlet
inside Plumtree. Used Wicket and iBatis.
- Built one-stop package tracking system consuming shippers' XML feeds and
converting them to a single standard HTML format. Used Java and XSLT.
3/2005 - 7/2005, Pilotfish Technology, Wethersfield, CT
- Contributed to development of Enterprise Application Integration (EAI)
software and used it to convert proprietary data formats to and from ACORD
insurance standard XML formats. Involved working with DB2, Oracle, MySQL, and
SqlServer databases. Exposed various capabilities as Web Services using
SOAP/WSDL. Enhanced small servlet-based front-end and larger Swing interface to
system. Deployed on Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere, and WebLogic. Used Ant, JUnit,
Subversion, and Trac in the development environment.
- Developed thin-client Customer Relation Management (CRM) system in Java
using Spring, Hibernate, and Tapestry. Used Java 1.5 annotations and generics,
developed with Ant, JUnit, Subversion, and Mantis.
4/2004 - 3/2005, Personix, Manchester, CT
- Developed Java Web Services to convert documents between HTML and a
documents online. Connected these to ASP-based content management system. Used
JMS, Apache Axis, and Java XML APIs as well as SqlServer, Visual Basic, and ASP.
Worked with Ant, JUnit, Visual Source Safe, and eRoom.
- Developed Java Web Service to convert documents to Adobe PDF format.
Connected this service to ASP front end. Used Apache Axis, FOP, and JMS.
3/1998 - 4/2004, DST Output, South Windsor, CT
Senior Systems Analyst
- Leader of a team of three building an XML-flat file conversion system. Used
an XML file mapping the fields of a COBOL copybook to fields in an XML Schema, a
Swing GUI to create those parts of the mapping which cannot be automatically
generated or which the user wants to override, and conversion routines using
this mapping to transform XML documents to and from COBOL-style flat files.
Written entirely in Java using both SAX and DOM XML processing. Used Ant,
ArgoUML, JUnit, PVCS, Microfocus, and a home-grown bug-tracking wiki.
- Technical leader of team of ten on a project to provide a web front end to a
DB2 database-driven batch system. Used Java, EJBs, HTML, JDBC, JSP, Ant, JUnit,
WebLogic deployment. Tools included Ant, JUnit, DBUnit, HttpUnit, Visual Source
Safe, and Scarab.
- Technical leader of team of six on a project to bridge two older COBOL
systems using Java and XML. Used Ant and numerous standard Design Patterns.
Maintained project and user documentation in HTML, coordinated the efforts of
five developers and a business analyst, provided program frameworks and code
samples, and integrated contributors' code.
- Built Content Management / Rules Gathering system using Struts, servlets,
applets, and HTML. Used Ant and JUnit and UML tools. Ran against a DB2
- Designed and wrote COBOL data handling subsystem of customer brokerage
statement application as well as several Microsoft Access interfaces to the
system. Used Microfocus COBOL, JCL, and DOS batch scripts.
- Developed Selective Messaging system using Microsoft Access both to store
rules and to provide a GUI front end, and using Visual Basic to generate COBOL
programs from the rules. Also built shared COBOL libraries for the
applications using these generated programs. Developed in Microfocus COBOL for
deployment on Windows and MVS.
Professional programmer with strong Java, J2EE and web skills. Excellent
technical project leader, experienced with small to medium sized programming
teams. Exceptional designer and systems analyst.
- Java/J2EE: Java/J2EE: Nine years of Java
experience, including six of J2EE. Knowledge of all the core language,
including the most recent version, and experience with many major APIs.
- Web Technologies: Eight years of (X)HTML
Also skilled with PHP, and have used ASP / VBScript. No experience with Flash
or Photoshop, although I have used Paint Shop Pro. Familiar with
standards-compliant website development.
- Web Frameworks: Nine years of (X)HTML
techniques. Also skilled with PHP, and have used ASP / VBScript. Strong
And jQuery; have also used Dojo and MooTools. Skilled in standards-compliant
- Databases: Thorough experience with DB2,
SqlServer, MySQL, Hypersonic, and Microsoft Access. Have also used Oracle,
PostGRES, Firebird, and Informix. Skilled with SQL and JDBC. Have also used
Hibernate, JDO, and iBatis, although only Hibernate in a production environment.
- Web Services: Developed web services in Java
with Apache Axis, and in PHP with various tools. Experienced with SOAP/WSDL.
Have also designed and developed REST interfaces in Java.
- Deployment: Have used Tomcat, JBoss,
WebSphere, and WebLogic.
- Development: Strong skills with Ant and
JUnit. Some experience with DBUnit, Canoo WebTest, and HttpUnit. Have used
most of the major IDEs, and many other developers' tools, although still mostly
code in text editors.
- Languages: Most of my recent work has been
in Java, and before that in COBOL, but I also have used C / C++, JCL, Pascal,
Perl, PHP, Python, Rexx, Ruby, and Visual Basic.
- Environments: Mostly worked in a Windows
environment, but I do have experience with various flavors of Unix/Linux as well
as IBM mainframes.
- Architecture and Design: Have designed small
to mid-sized systems, and integrated larger ones out of existing pieces. Worked
with large, heterogeneous, distributed teams on design. Comfortable with the
UML and design documentation.
- Project Management: Have managed teams of
three to ten developers on all technical aspects of a project from requirements
gathering through design, development, deployment, and support. Skilled in
analyzing a team's strengths, and motivating developers. No pure management
- Communications: Excellent writing skills.
Open, communicative, and friendly. Willing to work as a member of a team or to
take on leadership roles.
1996-1998, Graduate Studies toward PhD (not completed) in Mathematics
Wesleyan University. Middletown, CT
Major field of study: combinatorics
1989, Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics
Wesleyan University. Middletown, CT
Minor in religion. GPA: 3.5 overall, 4.0 in math
- The most recent and complete version of this resume is at scott.sauyet.com/resume/.
- References are available upon request.